Home > Court, Courts, Police, Warminster > Man in Custody for Murder That Happened in 1973 (Updated)

Man in Custody for Murder That Happened in 1973 (Updated)

February 23, 2011 Leave a comment Go to comments

By Jesse Reilly
The Public Spirit/Globe Times Chronicle

Craig Penglase described his client’s current situation as “distressing” outside the Warminster Police Station Wednesday.

Led by his lawyer, Domingo Lopez Negron, headed into the Warminster police station, Wednesday afternoon. (Tom Sofield)

Charges of criminal homicide have been filed against his client, 58-year-old Domingo Lopez Negron, for the death of 54-year-old Joseph Kwiatkowski.

“He thought this was behind him,” Penglase said shortly before Negron turned himself in to authorities.

Kwiatkowski was shot in the back in May of 1973 during a fight in the Warminster Heights section of the township.

The shot left the then 18-year-old paralyzed from the chest down.

On Wednesday Negron turned himself in to Warminster authorities. He and his two sons that were with him refused to comment.

Although he maintains his innocence, the grand jury investigation determined that Negron was the individual who fired the handgun that struck Kwiatkowski in the back, the affidavit of probable cause stated.

In 1973 he was charged with 16 counts, including aggravated assault, assault with intent to maim and discharging a firearm, and found guilty of eight of them, an affidavit of probable cause stated.

He served just more than a year in Bucks County Prison.

In the time since the incident Penglase said Negron, who lives in Philadelphia with his common-law wife, worked as a laborer and raised his four children. He was injured on the job about a year ago.

Negron's lawyer speaks to reporters outside the Warminster police station, Wednesday afternoon. (Tom Sofield)

Although he may have thought it was behind him, a Bucks County grand jury presentment was unsealed earlier this week and recommended that Negron be charged with homicide for Kwiatkowski’s death.

An autopsy report from the county where Kwiatkowski lived in Florida determined that the cause of his death in 2009 was from a gunshot wound to the back and the manner of death was a homicide.

The report was reviewed by Ian Hood, a forensic pathologist with Bucks County, who testified that, “after reviewing all the medical records of Joseph Kwiatkowski before the time of the shooting until his death, there was no evidence that any intervening causes resulted in his death,” the affidavit stated.

“Hood was clear that Kwiatkowski’s death and chronic health issues throughout his life were a result of complications from being paralyzed.”

“It’s distressing [to Negron] because Kwiatkowski had a life of suffering but he maintains that he was not involved,” Penglase said. “We were hoping they would not pursue this. We’re hoping for a dismissal.”

After Negron was processed at the police station he was arraigned in front of District Judge Dan Finello of Warminster.

Republished with the permission of The Public Spirit/Globe Times Chronicle

Video of Negron’s lawyer Craig Penglase talking to reporters:

Slide show from today:

Previous story: Homicide Charges to be Filed 36 Years After Warminster Shooting

 

Advertisements
  1. marisol velez
    February 23, 2011 at 7:17 PM

    i think this is not justice. he served his time back in 1973. how can he charged again for this.

  1. February 23, 2011 at 2:43 PM

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: